Your privacy is critically important to us. At adamtooze.com, we have a few fundamental principles:
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control what information on your website is shared publicly (or kept private), indexed by search engines, and permanently deleted.
- We help protect you from overreaching government demands for your personal information.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
Information We CollectWe only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better. We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our services, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information that we collect.
Information You Provide to UsIt’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. For example, we require individuals who sign up for an account to provide a username and email address–and that’s it. You may provide us with more information–like your name–but we don’t require that information to create your account.
- Public Profile Information: If you have an account with us, we collect the information that you provide for your public profile. For example, if you have an account, your username is part of that public profile, along with any other information you put into your public profile. Your public profile is just that–public–so please keep that in mind when deciding what information you would like to include.
- Content Information: Depending on the Services you use, you may also provide us with information about you in the draft and published content for your website. For example, if you write a comment that includes biographic information about you, we will have that information, and so will anyone with access to the Internet, if you choose to publish the comment publicly. This might be obvious to you…but it’s not to everyone!
- Comment Information: When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
- Communications with Us (Hi There!): You may also provide us information when you respond to surveys, communicate with us about a support question, or post a question about your site in our public forums.
Information We Collect AutomaticallyWe also collect some information automatically:
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. We collect log information when you use our Services–for example, when you visit our site.
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. For example, we collect information about the actions that our users perform on a site–in other words, who did what, when and to what thing on a site (e.g., [comment] posted by “[name of user]” at [time/date]). We also collect information about what happens when you use our Services (e.g., page views, comments, button clicks) along with information about your device (e.g., mobile screen size, name of cellular network, and mobile device manufacturer). We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions. We may also collect information about your precise location via our mobile apps (when, for example, you post a photograph with location information) if you allow us to do so through your mobile device operating system’s permissions.
- Information used to prevent spam in comments: We collect information about visitors who comment on Sites that use our Akismet anti-spam service. The information we collect depends on how the User sets up Akismet for the Site, but typically includes the commenter’s IP address, user agent, referrer, and Site URL (along with other information directly provided by the commenter such as their name, username, email address, and the comment itself).
How We Use InformationWe use information about you as mentioned above and as follows:
- To provide our Services–for example, allow you to contact us, comment on a post, or respond to your inquiry;
- To further develop our Services–for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy or will help them learn more about the topics we cover;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
- To monitor and protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of adamtooze.com and others;
- To communicate with you about offers and promotions offered by adamtooze.com and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on adamtooze.com and our products; and
- To personalize your experience using our Services, provide content recommendations and serve relevant advertisements.
How We Share InformationWe do not sell our users’ private personal information. We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Third Party Vendors: We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to us. This group includes vendors that help us provide our Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information) and those that help us understand and enhance our Services (like analytics providers).
- As Required by Law: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights and Property: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of adamtooze.com, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
- With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so, such as posting public comments on our blog posts.
- Aggregated and De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our Services.
Information Shared PubliclyInformation that you choose to make public is–you guessed it–disclosed publicly. That means, of course, that information like your public profile, comments, other content that you make public on our website, are all available to others–and we hope you get a lot of views! Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties. Please keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share.
SecurityWhile no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so.
ChoicesYou have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information, profile information, and transaction and billing information. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of our Services–for example, comments or purchasing products–may not be accessible.
- Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from us. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt out of promotional messages, we may still send you other messages, like those about your account and legal notices.
- Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: At this time, adamtooze.com does attempt to respond to “do not track” signals across all of our Services. However, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using adamtooze.com’s websites, with the drawback that certain features of adamtooze.com’s websites may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
Other Things You Should Know (Keep Reading!)
Transferring Informationadamtooze.com is a worldwide service. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer, and storage of information in and to the U.S. and other countries, which may have rights and protections that are different from those in your home country.
Right to your Data and to be ForgottenWe believe your data is yours and fully support policies which follow that spirit. If you would like a copy of any data we have collected on you or would like us to permanently erase any of it, please contact us at email@example.com.
- April 28, 2018: Copied from Automattic.com and revised to suit adamtooze.com